[RC] MUD!!! - JUDYK89

 Copying this from another list, think I'll try it. Judy in San Diego

With all this rain I wanted to share my experience with a new (to me)
bedding product, rice hulls.  The water just runs through them, it dries
out very fast and gives the horse a fairly dry bed to walk on.   I did
an unconscious experiment in Jazzi's stall; one area is all rice hulls
and another is dry stall.  The rice hull area has held up great, wear as
the dry stall area is fairly muddy.  In another more covered stall we
mixed the ride hulls and Cedar Rest at about 50/50.  It looks marvelous!
But it is under a large cover and is protected with sand bags.  Rice
hulls cost about the same as shavings, but you do not have to remove
them as they dry out so fast.  (This was a BIG issue with me.)  The rice
hulls will not soak up water like shavings; they are more of a barrier.
The rice hulls can be eaten in moderate quantities without causing upset
stomach.  All my horses like to munch a bit when I first put it down,
then they leave it alone.   When dry it will stick to the coat, but is
easily brushed out.  Hope this helps!
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch (were the horses no longer spook at the plastic bag over my
cast as I muck in the rain)
In wet and soggy Elfin Forest