Re: [RC] Postive CogginsTest in Chico, CA - abigail Madden

Since I live in Chico, I just researched the BAEN website and discovered the identity of the gal with the positive Coggins horse.  It wasn't hidden and she even posted her website www.itsmysite.com/drycreekranch .  Her name is Kelli Solano, she buys and sells horses, and she lives just north of Chico proper.  I know her and the horse.  We used to board at the same barn and she got that filly just before she left the facility.  I do not doubt that the story is true.  I have a call in to a third party to confirm.  Although I'm not worried about my horses due to the very short time they spent at the same barn with this horse 2 + years ago and all have had neg. coggins since then, I am concerned about others who have purchased horses from this gal and/or stabled with her.

I think this incident is another example of why we should always ask lots of questions, get our horses tested even if they aren't going to travel, and get references.

abigail
Chico, CA

sindy mccosker <sindymccosker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have emailed the head Vet at USDA trying to find out if this is true or
not.

Here is the post that was posted to the Bayequest website:

To Whom This May Concern,
As you read this story please realize this is an attempt for your help. I am
writing this letter in an attempt to find more facts and do what is right. I
know we are all entitled to our own opinion and a lot of us enjoy sharing
them. I respect your opinion but I am looking for facts and help. Please
realize this is a very sensitive subject and a lot of feelings are involved.
I am trying to do what is best for the horse and any other horse that may be
subject to exposure of this mare.

My 4-year-old AQHA palomino mare tested positive to a coggins test. Yes we
live right here in Chico, CA. Before I go on with my story I will give you
all the basic facts I have found on a positive coggins testing. In the North
State alone we test 18,000-20,000 horses per year for what we hope is a
negative coggins test. In 20 years my mare is the 2nd case in the North
State. The other case found 14 years ago. Coggins testing is a countrywide
law. Does anyone even know what you are testing your horse for? Probably
not! I didn?t either till November 2004 my mare?s coggins test came up
positive. She was tested 2x and her blood was sent to 2 different labs.
Coggins is testing for the disease known as EIA (Equine Infectious Anemia).
EIA is a blood transferred disease transferred from one horse to another by
a horse fly or mosquito or insects of such type. From what I have learned
and HEARD (yet to see) EIA will attack a horses immune system. The horse can
become very ill and possibly lead to death. A variety of events can bring on
an attack, including stress or a breakdown of the immune system. A cold or
something of that sort. Cows, dogs or any other animal besides a horse does
not carry or contract EIA. A horse found with EIA is doomed to one of two
futures, euthanasia or quarantine, for the rest of their lives. This is to
control the spread of EIA and to protect other horses health. EIA is almost
eradicated in the US, thus the reason you may not know what coggins testing
is for. Any vet will push you to Euthanasia the infected horse spreading to
EIA to other horses. Upon conversations with local veterinarians this
subject disease is covered for about an hour during vet school.

Here is the story........this mare (Call her Lexi) is a registered 2001 QH
mare in foal and due May 2005. She is a HEALTHY, gorgeous horse, kids can
ride, and not to mention again, she is pregnant. I will tell you now her
baby is doomed to the same future as she is, even if tested negative. It is
not known whether the foal could infect EIA at age 5, 10, or maybe NEVER so
therefore the foal is positive even if he/she tests negative. I have owned
Lexi for 2.5 years. In this time she was infected with strangles and a deep
cold/cough. She recovered as well if not better then any of the other horses
that were also infected with the strangles or cold. Mind you none of these
horses have EIA. The state has visited my ranch and tested 19 horses that
were in contact with Lexi. All tested NEGATIVE. Four of these horses have
been running with Lexi for almost 2.5 years. Lexus has never traveled out of
state and was born right here in the North State. Her Dam (mother) is no
longer living so testing is impossible. We have no idea where Lexi could
have infected this tragedy. Lexi is in quarantine as we speak. The State vet
has approved of her location and along with winter the chances of EIA
spreading is very unlikely.

So now you ask yourself, what exactly am I asking for? I am asking for
anyone who can help Lexi and her foal or give me information to ease my
mind. Several vets have told me the horse should be euthanized, but NOT one
can give me any statistics on horses dying from this disease nor do they
know of any. I cannot seem to get any straight facts or anything that gives
me a sense of peace to the thought of taking 2 animals lives. I am asking
for facts, or a way to keep Lexi safe while I have more time to research!
The State vet has approved of Lexi?s location but with winter and space
limited at my ranch giving this horse what she needs is very hard with my
situation. I want what is best for this horse and her foal and don?t want to
be cruel in anyway. If this disease in fact is as bad as it sounds, can
someone show me, or is the law blown out of context? I do not know the
answer and this is why I am asking for your help. I don?t want to take the
life of Lexi and her foal and on the other hand I don't want to put other
healthy horses lives in danger. I am faced with a decision and a hard one at
that. Time is limited and I am reaching out to all of you. I BELIEVE I have
read Everything you are about to read on the Internet. I am searching for
cold hard facts from the people who enforce this coggins testing and
euthanasia.

I run a horse business and love what I do. I am putting my business at risk
even keeping this horse alive as long as I have. The love for this horse or
horses alone is worth the risk. The dilemma of my situation is, is it
justified for me to put this horse and her foal to sleep? I am pleading for
facts and help from any of you or maybe someone you know! You can email me
back, visit my web site, or even call if you wish. The intent of this letter
is to obtain facts or help. I respect your opinions regarding this
situation, however I am looking for facts/information/help only. I
appreciate anyone with any info to help Lexi and her unborn foal. I have
attached a picture below of Lexi just taken December 2004!

Sindy