Re: [RC] SCID : Calling vets and breeders - Kristene Smuts

WOW!!  Talk about responses to a subject.  Thanks guys, I really learned
a lot from the discussions on the subject.  From the research I'd done,
I'd already decided to make the stallion's status known, either way,
even though I'm breeding for myself.  Interesting thing was that when I
contacted our local test lab, they quoted 500 bucks if they DON'T send
the results to the Arab Horse Society, but 400 if they DO.  I have no
problem in the Society knowing the status as I'm also of the mind of not
ceasing to breed to the stallion, but just knowing more about it and
breeding judiciously - the discussion just strengthened my decision.
Also, if the Society has more information, they can also make better
decisions about our breed - talk about "closed" gene pool!  At least now
we're importing more horses - for a good number of years we couldn't
import and had to be happy with what was available in the country.  But,
halter horses are being imported with poor conformation - as usual we
wait for the "ugly", but good ones to be thrown our way ;-))

What Heidi said about perpetuating poor conformation just because the
stock is clear ...... well, I'd rather have a good carrier than a poor
non-carrier!  The stallion in question is by no means perfect (won't win
a halter class!), but he is a very good conformed horse and breeds
amazing babies.  I have one colt from a Saddlebred mare (will be gelded)
and another colt from a Crabbet mare who will be left intact for future
breeding as he is 98% pure Crabbet - my breeding goal for my limited
program - and he is a wonderfully conformed and super temperamented
young man.

He does a better job than I do of explaining how abrupt cessation of
the breeding of all carriers does irreparable harm to the gene pool,>>

From all my reading, that was the one overwhelming reason NOT to cease
breeding to a carrier.  One only needs to look at other animals to see
what harm such cessation does - certain breeds of dog come to mind.

Once again, thank you for all the information and balanced insights - I
really appreciate it!

Kristene
South Africa