[RC] Foot bone is connected to the head bone ....... - Kristene Smuts

More and observation than a problem, so if somebody with more brains
than mine (not difficult) can shed more light on it ....?

I have a yearling (Dec. 20th) colt that, when he was about 8 mo. old,
started getting a lump on the left cheek (and growing) and his jaw
started pulling skew - bottom jaw came all the way to the right.  At the
same time I noticed that his right front foot had a bulge on the front
wall.  Left foot had a smaller bulge, but the angles were OK for his
age.  I didn't put the two together until I called the chiro to see what
the problem might be with the jaw - at least I connected the lump and
jaw .... duh!!

Chiro felt at the top of the poll, where there's a hollow next to the
ears.  There's a ligament that goes from the front of the head, through
the hollow and attaches to the spine - one can clearly feel them.  The
right ligament was noticeably tighter than the left.  The chiro adjusted
the colt in his jaw and also in the left haunch and told me to do
certain exercises and massages on the colt for a number of weeks.  As an
afterthought, I asked about the bulges in the feet, but he couldn't give
me a definite answer.

Fast forward about 6 weeks and daily exercises ....... the bulges had
been receding slowly, the lump on the cheek is gone and the jaw is
slowly returning to normal.  As of today, the jaw is ever so slightly
out of alignment (only I can notice it now) and the bulges have all gone
in the feet.

He's never been lame or even ouchy and has stunning movement, so I'm
not so sure if the bulges and the ligament in the poll had a
connection???  Anybody???

Kristene
South Africa