Re: [RC] SCID : Calling vets and breeders breeding decisions - Sisu West Ranch

Breeding decisions when one knows that an animal is a probable carrier of a bad recessive gene can be complicated an often lead to emotional responses. Wendy and I have talked about this at length. Here are some of the conclusions we have reached:

1. Have your animals tested for any bad recessives that may be present in the breed. If your animals are clear, breath a sigh of relief.
2. Make sure that any animals you breed to are also tested. In the USA, since there are many stallions that have been tested, you will be able to find a suitable sire that is clear of the defect. You can be happy and know that the bad gene will not be passed on.
3. If your mare is positive for a bad recessive, look at her very very carefully. Get the advice of respected breeders. Very few of us have mares that are so special that the breed would suffer if they never reproduced. They may be special to you, but are they genetically unique and a super horse?
4. If your stallion is positive, and genetically extremely unique, and a really super stallion you have a problem. First, only breed him to negative mares. Make sure that the mares he is bred to are owned by knowlegable people who will be looking to breed the defect from the breed. They should be willing and able to cull the positive horses from the breeding program. That is keeping only negative animals to breed on. I would be very supprised if a truely exceptional stallion bred to exceptional mares did not produce at least one exceptional colt that was negative before he ended his breeding life.

Since Wendy and I do not have 50 years, and lots of money we have decided to only breed negative mares to negative stallions and let others work at preserving the few exceptional blood lines that happen to be positive.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875