Re: [RC] SCID : Calling vets and breeders breeding decisions - heidi

1. Have your animals tested for any bad recessives that may be present
in  the breed.

This is easier said than done, since SCID is the only lethal recessive in
the breed for which there is a test, although there are several other
lethals present in the breed.  And unfortunately, simply culling the
carriers immediately without any other consideration increases the carrier
rate of the lethals for which one cannot test.  Additionally, simply
throwing horses out for being carriers does not induce people to WANT to
develop tests for the other lethals, for fear their own horses will be
subject to similar measures.

If your animals are clear, breath a sigh of relief.

Indeed, it is always easier if they are clear!  :-)

3. If your mare is positive for a bad recessive, look at her very very
carefully.  Get the advice of respected breeders.  Very few of us have
mares  that are so special that the breed would suffer if they never
reproduced.  They may be special to you, but are they genetically unique
and a super  horse?

This is good advice with regard to breeding ANY mare.  That said--there
ARE no perfect horses, so one has to weigh all faults, rather than making
breeding decisions solely based upon one fault.

4. If your stallion is positive, and genetically extremely unique, and a
 really super stallion you have a problem.  First, only breed him to
negative  mares.

Well, actually, we HAD a problem.  Past tense.  Now that there is a test,
the problem is miniscule compared to the guessing game that used to go on.

Make sure that the mares he is bred to are owned by
knowlegable  people who will be looking to breed the defect from the
breed.

This is also important, regardless of the faults with which one is
dealing.  This shouldn't be a consideration just for breeding carriers,
IMO!

They should  be willing and able to cull the positive horses
from the breeding program.  That is keeping only negative animals to
breed on.  I would be very  supprised if a truely exceptional stallion
bred to exceptional mares did not  produce at least one exceptional colt
that was negative before he ended his  breeding life.

This is indeed the goal, but it is not always realistic to accomplish it
in one generation.  Many of us do not breed our stallions to every "empty
uterus" that comes along, and we only want to keep sons who typify what it
is we are trying to do.  Hence we don't always have all that many sons
from which to choose, SCID or no SCID.  If I get five colts by a carrier
stallion, and only one is a carrier, but he is head and shoulders the best
quality of the five, which one am I going to keep intact?  You bet your
booties that I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater by
keeping an inferior colt just because he is clear.  All else being equal,
then YES, I'll choose the clear colt!

Since Wendy and I do not have 50 years, and lots of money we have
decided to  only breed negative mares to negative stallions and let
others work at  preserving the few exceptional blood lines that happen
to be positive.

One does have to make one's own decisions in this regard, and while I
prefer to think of being part of a continuum with regard to decreasing the
SCID carrier rate over time while maintaining the rest of the genetic
material represented in current carriers, rather than being the "lone
ranger," I nonetheless respect your common sense attitude, Ed, in
understanding that this IS your personal choice, and not condemning those
who choose to work wisely around the gene by testing, even if it means
continuing to test into subsequent generations in some cases.

Heidi