Re: [RC] Trot Speed - rides2far

Roger's comments on speed and heart rate are about the best thing I've
read lately from a newby stand point.  Very helpful.  I think this sort of
information is very important for those just starting out or >>>>starting
out again.  Tracking the heart rate and speed and finding that optimum
combination should be very helpful for the horse to avoid being
overworked by those who don't quite know yet how to do this
properly.

Just remember, heart rate and metabolics are only half your worries. Don't
forget lameness! I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone happily
announce the low numbers on their heart monitor as they were trotting downhill
through a cool shady forest...with lots of ankle twisting roots, etc. Heck if
your down in the 90's it's time to forget the stupid heart monitor and pay
attention to the footing!

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith