RE: [RC] [RC] Vaccinations Reations - Laurie Durgin

Interesting. The EPM group on Yahoo, I think "despises" Ft. Dodge too, said the same thing about the carrier. I try to advoid buying them.
The also advocate, especialy with Neuro. compromised horses, to break up and space out vaccines. They also advise against Rhino in horses who have had Neuro. problems.
They also do not reccommend the EPM vaccine, there is no proof it works at all, and your horse will now test positive on the blood test.(not the spinal though). But the blood test was helpful as a negative result. (usually).

From: Roger Rittenhouse <roger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Vaccinations Reations
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:57:27 -0500

Hello Ridecamp,

  Well I see I am not the only one with problems due to the FT DODGE
  vac.
  I should know better, but I bought the EWE/Tet  vac from my vet this
  time. INSTEAD of going to Jeffers and getting the INVERVET brand.

I gave the shot on SAT..

  I do not ever give the 5 way.. or any flu ..
  I normally never give the EWE with Tetanus  but my vet said that the
  Ft Dodge carrier was improved.. yeah right.
  5 out of 6 horses with  fluid in the pectals.. at least I did not
  give it in the neck.
  One  shows no reaction, one is just a small area about lemon size and
  the others are baseball to orange size soft filled areas. My mare
  has it down lower in the tissue.. it sort of moved today..very full
  but not hard.

  All are still eating and moving well. But the sites and swelling
  area are hot and sore.
  I will call him tomorrow and discuss..

Problem is we leave WED for AERC..

So I assume a good abscess could form? May require a lancing?

  I had problems with Ft Dodge before - very sore and filled neck
  area. So this time I felt all would be ok with the pectal area.
  WRONG!

  I have given the West Nile -   from FTD and had no problems. Also
  did the EPM  from FTD and had no problems

  I sure hope things look better tomorrow..
  I will not do this again next year..I will use ANY other mfgr BUT
    FORT DODGE

--
 Roger                          mailto:roger@xxxxxxxxxxx

============================================================ Why should I look good if I don`t smell good? ~ author unknown

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200365ave/direct/01/

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding. ~ Homer Saferwiffle