[RC] Mentors - Aaron Turnage

I have to second Karen's thoughts on the suggested
mandatory mentor proposal.  Last year was my first
year doing LD/Endurance.  My horse (who is 5) and I
did 135 miles of LD and one 50.  I do NOT support a
mandatory mentoring program.  By far the biggest issue
with this is having two horses (or more according to
some of the "group" proposals I've seen Howard
mention) that will pace equally on the trail.  It can
be just as stressful on a horse to go much slower than
it's normal pace.  Or, a horse can get caught up in
the "adrenaline" of going with a group and get pulled
along much faster than it should be ridden.

I learned the most about endurance and how to pace
properly by riding by myself and listening to my horse
set his own comfortable pace.  Then I know what is
comfortable for him and am able to bring him up or
down as necessary on an actual ride.  All the other
educational information is out there and readily
available for those who seek it.  Go volunteer for a
ride.  I volunteered for a 100 before I even did an
LD.  THAT is an eye-opening experience.  And I've
volunteered again since then and will again this year
(Connie are you reading this?).  I would much rather
support a motion to make volunteering at a ride
mandatory before one's first ride than a motion about
mentors.

And Karen and other people who have posted are right.
The mentors are ALREADY THERE!  The best thing in a
ride/race situation is to hook-up with someone out on
the trail, sometime after the first 10 miles or so,
who is traveling your same pace.  I was lucky enough
to have Ted Goppert "mentor" me through my first 50
(or partner as the case may be).  He's been doing
endurance successfully for 20 years.  I had NO IDEA
who he was until we had already travelled several
miles together and started talking.  Our horses were
well matched so we decided to ride the remaining 35
miles or so together.  They people who I rode the
first 15 or so with were equally as experienced but
travelling faster than the pace my horse needed for
that day.

And training rides are a GREAT opportunity!  Find
local riders near you and GO RIDE!  You can learn tons
and it's much easier to talk and share ideas under a
less stressful situation.  Guess what I did this
weekend?  I trailered about 1.5 hrs one-way to go ride
with Karen (Chaton)!  It was AWESOME and I had a great
time (and I'm coming again!).  I've also been lucky
enough to do training rides with local endurance vets,
2 different PAC competitors, another 20+ year rider,
and many more people who are successful in the sport
by their own definition.

Just don't lump me with someone I've never ridden with
before at the very beginning of a ride and expect me
to pace my horse around their schedule.  THAT is not
to the benefit of my horse, or their's.

Crysta & Sinatra (who's doing 50's this year)
Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the
horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action...
~  DH Lawrence