Re: [RC] Stall Bedding Options - drhopkins

Val,
I've been using Woody Pet brand wood pellets for over 3 years.  I really like
it.  My horses have free access to their stalls which are in the back of a 24
X 36 run in type barn.  They take naps in there, are fed in there and can come
and go as they please.  I started with about 12 bags per 12 X 12 stall.  I
water it to make it fluff up and absorb better.  It also keeps the dust down,
less than with shavings.  I clean out the stall twice a day at feeding time
removing the solid and the urine spots.  They are pretty easy to spot and
scoop out, almost like kitty litter.  I throw the urine soaked stuff in the
paddock area, especially the downhill area to help keep the erosion down.  It
washes away and keeps the crushed limestone base from washing away.  The
manure goes into the pile to be composted which composts better than with the
shavings.  When I remove a scoop of urine, I spread a little PDZ or stall dry,
rake the rest of the Woody Pet around then throw a scoop of fresh stuff over
the top.  Every few days, I might take a water can and sprinkle some water on
top if it needs it.  I definately use more water in the summer, because I run
fans in their stalls to keep the flies from bothering them.  Every so often, I
throw a whole bag down to add more, but haven't needed to strip the stalls
since I used the shavings.  TSC carries it now and it's easier to store.
Anna

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long