[RC] - Julie Fuller

What about the horses "mind"? We talk alot about developing the horses mind
and emotions for endurance. And how some horses don't have the "mind" or
"emotions" for it. On a "technical trail" under unusual weather conditions
and darkenss and being alone, and herd bound or not, etc. how much does an
individual horses mind and emotions matter?
In flat out racing, how much or a 'mind or emotions' does a horse need? I'd
think a 'lean , mean racing machine is all that matters.Just speed ,
training, and efficency of the horses physical system.
I guess it is just too mechanical for those who are dreamers.

I don't think it's a matter of "mind" so much as training... though there are exceptions... we've all had experiences with the high strung horse who just can't seem to settle down and work.

Add to that the combination of horse and RIDER. Then you've got two "minds" to deal with! And if you've got a timid or very sensitive horse, with a heavy handed or inexperienced rider, you've got the makings of a mess... either for the horse, or the rider. I've seen it happen, and it's NOT pretty.

Sometimes, the horse that is high strung or very sensitive needs an OWNER change, not a different bit, different feed, whatever. Or, if the rider is WILLING to be educated, that's what will work. It all boils down to experience and training, of both horse and rider. In the long run, literally, it's up to both horse and rider to work well enough together to survive. This race, and the next. This training ride and the next. Regardless of the variables.

There are a hell of a lot of variables in endurance riding, which is why I love it. It's a constant challenge, and we, as humans, are the ones with the power. It's up to us to ride EACH horse responsibly, EACH time we ride. That means being omnipotent.... making decisions based on our own knowlegde and experience about ALL the variables involved EVERY time we get on your horse. And if we as riders are well educated, and our horses are trained well, it all works to the mutual enjoyment of both. It's about the joy of surviving.

Julie

Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris