Re: [RC] - SandyDSA

In a message dated 2/20/2004 9:01:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, natira121@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There are a hell of a lot of variables in endurance riding, which is
why I love it.  It's a constant challenge, and we, as humans, are the
ones with the power.  It's up to us to ride EACH horse responsibly,
EACH time we ride.
Isn't this an interesting - and enlightened - comment! It would follow that we must ride them as if they are changeable, sensitive, physical beings, not motorcycles. Each one is different, each has different threshholds, each responds differently. It saddens me to see them treated like vehicles (actually ticks me off0, as people tend to treat them like commodities instead of creatures. Each one must be cared for and trained differently from its neighbor; Bouncing from one mount to another, swapping riders, tack, training methods - all are detrimental to the most affected aspect of these partners - their spirit. The best legs, metabolics, health care, feed - matter not if the horse is not cared for, trained and conditioning within the confines of its own character and mental ability. One horse, one partner is a foundation for a successful partnership. Yes, there ARE many variables, and so why choose to add more of them into the mix?