FW: [RC] (RC) President's Cup/America..used to be a power? - Catfish Daniels

Hi Frank:

Well, I certainly respect your viewpoint.  In fact I think you have a lot of valid points in your post.  In fairness of the person to whom you responded to, however, I believe they were only talking about competition.  I don’t think they at all intended to take away any glory from the United States as far as how “strong” we are, or all the things the USA has contributed towards the growth and sport of endurance.  To me it sounded like this person was simply stating the facts about International Endurance Racing.  Crossing the finish line first.  Sort of like Track & Field, or let’s say Soccer, talking about which team is or used to be a world power.  Not because of what they do for the sport, but simply based on the results on the soccer field at international tournaments.  Germany used to be a world power in Soccer based on their results on the field.  Today, their soccer programs are phenomenal and their selection process, support and contribution to the sport is impeccable.  Yet based on their results on the field, currently they are not a world power anymore.  They are currently a team that is not on top anymore, and no amount of patriotism, politics, or school of thought can dispute that.  A goal is a goal, and when the game’s over, they either won or lost.

I take a lot of pride in the way AERC does endurance, and how we ride endurance in the United States.  I absolutely don’t want to sound like I’m taking anything away from that.  Horse welfare first!!!  But the person you responded to, in my opinion, was talking about something different – the ability to win in a race – crossing the finish line first with a horse fit to continue.

Catfish