[RC] Jack Russell Terrors - Beth Bennett

Sorry I'm late on reading all of my email and I don't know who it was who is contemplating getting one of these little vermine. (I know I will offend several people, but this is just my opinion and not worth a whole lot.)

We HAD two of the longer legged type, short haired, brother and sister. The sister Blossom is a sweet dog but quivers non-stop. She's just too nervous. Also she has killed 3 cats. I have no love for her and barely any humanity toward her whatsoever, and I am really a TRUE animal lover.

Her brother (whose death I prayed for daily) finally crossed Jordan this past fall. The entire family is happier, especially our other dogs who he just absolutely terrorized. He was (as I believe it was Lori Stewart said) a thug in a clown suit. What finally did it for me was the following story:

I had taken my mare out alone for the first time, pulling the trailer for the first time, etc. She was not a good loader and I was always afraid I would get to my destination and then not be able to get her on the trailer. Well, we had had a wonderful day, a great ride, she hopped right in the trailer, and we made it home in one piece.

When I went to unload her, just as she placed her first foot on the ground, from out of nowhere this little demon came and attacked her, jumping up and latching on to her hocks, dangling by his teeth. Needless to say, she came bolting out of the trailer. He continued to hang on while Paanache tried in vain to kick at him. I tried with all of my might to keep hold of her and to relieve my mare from the jaws of life. Finally, she whipped around and he flung off. My finger got twisted up in the lead rope and popped, eventually sending me to occupational therapy for 6 weeks (I typed for a living too). Paanache ran to the barn, which had a 15 foot hay trailer loaded to the brim backed into it. She ran between the stall doors and the hay trailer to the back of the barn, where she hit a dead end. K.O. (the Jack Russel) chased her in the barn and again attacked her hocks. She was surrounded by walls on three sides, and had this dog at her back. After collecting myself after being pulled to the ground, I ran into the barn and grabbed that little . . . and threw him as far as I could. Again, he came at her. It took bashing him with a 2x4 to stun him enough to finally give it up. Paanache was bunched up under herself and terrified. I had to calm her down enough to back her out 15 feet. In the meantime, she must have stirred up a yellow jacket nest in the hay or under the trailer, because I got stung 3 times in the head and face and who knows how many times she was stung. Finally I was able to get her into the paddock and go to the house. I went inside and got the '38 special, went back outside, racked the slide, and pulled on target (a little black and white &*$%#^@*). The only thing that saved his life that day was my husband coming outside and telling me that it would do serious harm to our marriage if I killed his dog. Instead, daily I turned to divine providence to release us from this tyrany. Finally, my long-awaited prayers were answered.

We still have Blossom. She isn't as bad as she was when her brother was alive. I don't have any plans to kill her, and I only pray for her death about once a week.

I would seriously reconsider investing ANY money in one of these hell dogs. The majority of them will end up costing you something substantial in the end. For me it was a broken finger, 6 weeks in occupational therapy ($20.00 copay x 12 visits, 2/week) several weeks of discomfort at work, a few bee stings, three cats, and a mare that would not load for a long while.

Ahhhh, but I have been liberated!

Beth Bennett
Chickamauga, GA

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/