Re: [RC] ATTN: Folks who don't use HRMs - Vicki Austin

I found  my HRM to be very helpful for ME and my
horse.  He is a jokester and without the moniter he
makes me think I am working him too hard. When we are
alone he plods along and acts like he is extremly
tired (going away from home I might add) and without
the HM I let him go a lot slower thinking he is tired.
 THEN when we turn for home, no matter how far we
have gone or which direction we have gone, he acts
like I haven't ridden him in weeks and is off the
wall, doing airs above the ground, jumping across the
path (road) shying, hopping up and down, taking off
all of a sudden when we are supposed to be walking,
prancing, jigging, cantering in place etc. The first
time I used the HRM I found out he was only working at
80 while doing that little 6-8 MPH trot (going away
from home)    WITH the HRM I work him more
consistantly between 90 and 120 with now and then up
the hills at 150 - 170 so he actually GETS worked.  Or
breezing on long inclines and raising it a little more
briefly.

I spent the first few training rides thinking he was
sick or tired when we started off and turned back for
home, so many times when he was quiet and slow only to
find out the second we turned around he would jump up
and down and  start this  "hurray we are going home"
thing.  Then I would turn around again and he would be
quiet. Bizzarr behavior.  I finnally decided to ignore
it and work by the HRM.  We are both happier that way.
I can work him more on the way away from home and he
is a tiny bit quieter on the way home.

I guess it all depends on your horse.  If you have one
that sulks going away from home for a few miles (when
alone) and you need to push him to get him worked, HRM
are an invaluable tool.  If you have a horse that goes
along no matter what you probably do not need it.  I
never needed one before I had this horse.

He is difficult, I have had him for almost eight years
now and I love him to death.   Wouldn't trade him no
matter what. It just took a while to figure out his
personality and what made him tic.

Even at rides the minute he gets board he gets quiet,
then when he isn't board any more he is silly. I
always called him Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde. It was very
intersting at dressage shows.  One class he would be
good (quiet) and the next the judges would be laughing
hysterically because of his antics.

--- Ed & Wendy Hauser <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I found a HRM to be very instructive in teaching me
how hard my horse was
working.  Later I found that since I am a heavy
weight, my limiting factor
was not the cardiovascular conditioning, but rather
the legs.  Obviously, a
HRM did not tell me about legs until it was to late.
 At about the same
time, I purchased an OF, and was able to ride with
the girth rather loose.
The loose girth prevented girth sores, but made
reliable HRM readings hard.
I was going to shave and superglue the electrodes
on, but eventually decided
I was not getting enough information to be useful.
If one is careful about
listening to your horse, you can figure quite
closely how hard he is working
and how tired without an HRM.

The place I use a HRM is on a belt at vet checks.  I
strip tack, put on the
HRM belt with the watch set to beep at the
appropriate pulse and start
sponging.  Since I have either no or one crew
(depending on whether Wendy is
competing that day) it probably saves me a minute or
two each vet stop.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road