Re: [RC] ATTN: Folks who don't use HRMs - heidi

So write to me and tell me how successful you've been without an HRM, lo
these many years.  :)  I'd sure appreciate it, as would my wallet!!  I
really can't afford one if I'm going to buy any of the OTHER stuff on my
wishlist this year.

I'm admittedly NOT a gadget junkie, and I've ridden all my years without a
HRM.  They are great tools for fine-tuning, but I also think folks get too
reliant on them.  There are too many other "systems" to a horse besides
the cardiovascular system, and on most horses it is the easiest one to
condition.  Amen to the poster (was it Ed?) who commented that the legs
weren't ready to go with what the heart rate said.  And likewise a really
fatigued horse may not be able to get his HR up to a working rate--I
recall a guy who was running his horse into the ground several years ago
writing to one of the publications and asking why he couldn't get his
horse to go faster, since the HR was only up to such-and-such a rate--poor
bugger was tired!  Sure there are horses that are "sandbaggers"--but I'd
submit that there might be merit in trying to figure out why they are
being "lazy" instead of just pushing them per what the HRM says.

Listen to the whole horse.  Learn to "read" the horse without a HRM.  Then
when you DO get one it won't absorb your entire attention--you will have
learned so much more about your horse in the interim.

I think I'd get one if I was trying to fine-tune a horse for racing--but I
much prefer to not have the distraction when I'm out putting a base on a
horse or just getting one up through his first couple of years of
competition.  That said, I've been competitive in years past, and I'd be
perfectly happy to be somewhat competitive again without a HRM--if I can
ever get myself fit enough to ride at that level again.

So relax, go ride a bunch of miles, and key in on your horse instead of on
the "instrument panel."

Heidi