RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Val Nicoson's deworming question. ALSO, general info on deworming. - Magnumsmom - Sharon Kenney

Kathy,

I don’t know for sure that this is true (and I only vaguely recall it anyway) but I did find some sources that said a double-dose of Strongid only reduces some sort of correlating marker in the bloodstream… that it didn’t actually kill the tapeworms, just make it look like they were gone.  Idunno.  Maybe someone else has a clue about what it is that I’m only halfway remembering right now?

Thanks!!

-Sharon K.

___________

Sharon your post is great information.  The only thing that I can

find wrong is this statement.  PRAZIQUANTEL (Droncit, for those

of us who have small animals) is not the only way to kill tapes.

A double dose of Strongid (two tubes at once) will kill 100% of the

worms in 95% of horses.  One Equus article a few years ago said

that a triple dose of Strongid will kill 100% of tapes in 100% of

horses.  I've been using the double dose for years in my rotation.

My excellent CA vet said a double dose was sufficient.  Both the

double and triple dose is safe.

I will personally use which ever is more cost affective when I buy

my wormers... double strongid or ivermectin with praziquantel.

Kathy Myers

in Santa Fe, NM