Re: [RC] [RC] What do you prefer for rain gear during a ride - Truman Prevatt

Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:
Truman wrote:

> [...]
> One of the big draw backs to any rain gear (even GroeTex) is
> you will probably get wetter from sweating than you get from
> the rain.  [...]

In my personal experiences with Gore-Tex (which date back to some
really expensive biking rain suits back in the early 1980s) it has kept
me dry and I do not get wet from sweating.
Then you weren't working hard enough ;-).

Of all the "waterproof" fabrics out there for my money the original (Gore-Tex) is still the best.  The big thing in the rain is not to get cold - getting wet is not a big issue but getting cold is. You don't get hypothermia from being wet you get it from being cold. Such things as polypropylene or silk undergarmets will wick sweat away from your body and provide a barrier so you won't get cold.

Polar fleese is good - won't absorb water. Wool is good. But when you are producing more calories than the ambient air will remove, you will sweat and I almost always find when I am working I sweat. I used to cross country ski in a polyprop tee shirt (else I'd be soaking wet). When I stopped I put on more layers but while working I stripped them off.

And if you aren't sweating while riding - you're not riding hard enough ;-).

Truman (still the best solution is to go to the bar when it is raining)