Re: [RC] [RC] What do you prefer for rain gear during a ride - Magnumsmom

Truman wrote:

> [...]
> One of the big draw backs to any rain gear (even GroeTex) is
> you will probably get wetter from sweating than you get from
> the rain.  [...]

In my personal experiences with Gore-Tex (which date back to some
really expensive biking rain suits back in the early 1980s) it has kept
me dry and I do not get wet from sweating.

I currently have a Gore-Tex short riding duster that my hubby bought for
me for Christmas so many years ago I can't remember.  5?  6?  It looks
great... atleast it looks great when I wash it.  :)  It keeps me dry.  I wear
polartek polarfleece breeches and a t-shirt and the gore-tex duster over
it all.  I've ridden that way in rain on the CA coast, and in rain and snow
here in NM.

I rode in it at Tall Pines last Sept here in NM... remember, the ride with
the lightning and rain and hail?

If I put my polartek vest under it, I am really warm... mostly too warm.
It cost upwards of $200, but it's lasted so long and so well I can't even
begin to knock the price tag.  Gore-Tex is expensive stuff to make.  It's
a great story for those of you who are interested in company histories.

Anyways, I don't sweat under my Gore-Tex, but then I'm a lady.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM