RE: [RC] [RC] Val Nicoson's deworming question. ALSO, general info ondeworming. - Magnumsmom

Sharon wrote:

> PRAZIQUANTEL, which is found mixed with either Moxidectin (QuestPlus AKA
> ComboCare) or Ivermectin (Zimectrin Gold and EquiMax), is the only drug that
> kills tapeworms.

Sharon your post is great information.  The only thing that I can
find wrong is this statement.  PRAZIQUANTEL (Droncit, for those
of us who have small animals) is not the only way to kill tapes.

A double dose of Strongid (two tubes at once) will kill 100% of the
worms in 95% of horses.  One Equus article a few years ago said
that a triple dose of Strongid will kill 100% of tapes in 100% of
horses.  I've been using the double dose for years in my rotation.
My excellent CA vet said a double dose was sufficient.  Both the
double and triple dose is safe.

I will personally use which ever is more cost affective when I buy
my wormers... double strongid or ivermectin with praziquantel.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM