Re: [RC] mare story - Alice Yovich

i had the opposite mare foaling experience. after a fall and a goofy horse leaving me afraid of my own shadow on horse back, i bought a kind, reliable walking horse from a guy down the road who was in foal. I hadn't figured out the times I saw her and rode her that she had any issues, until I got her home and turned her out...and then I couldn't catch her again.  She had never really been weaned from her last foal, emotionally and she paced and grieved for her other baby.  I got her in May and she was due in Sept. For a long time she wouldn't come to me to even get her food or water, it was that bad.. Finally I'd made some progress with her and we were friends. my daughter, age 2 and I camped out waiting for the foal to be born. We finally gave up as it got chilly at night and the first night we slept inside, she of course foaled. I didn't have a barn and she foaled in the field. I did manage to catch her and the baby to get the vet out, but that foal and I never did have a chance to bond b/c Mom was never particularly happy about me being there. I later sold both of them and they've done well in their new homes, but I guess they just weren't the mares for me.
Alice Yovich,
NATRC Reg. 4, Texas
www.equi-threads.com