Re: [RC] mare story - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Both of my mares chose the busiest times of the busiest days to foal as if to be sure that they were properly attended by myself and their grooms.

This was once they were firmly in the family, however, as the first time Nim foaled was only about 5 months after I first got her. My husband and I had been to a very entertaining Irish evening dinner/dance in support refugees on the evening of Feb 28/29 during which quite extraordinary amounts of whiskey and Guinness were imbibed while trying to kill ourselves trying to dance jigs and reels. We got home at about 4 am to be called by the barn at 6 am that Nimbus had foaled and that the foal was fine. Pleased, I asked if it was male or female only to be told that it was "brown". After a number of questions designed to cut through that odd non sequitur failed utterly, we hauled our bedraggled and as yet un-hungover selves out of bed (hangovers came later) to go inspect this "brown" creature that had the barn staff so flummoxed. Nimbus at this point didn't really know us and was seriously protective of her little brown bundle so it took us a while to find out that Koko was female but the ears were a dead giveaway that she was a mule. We just leaned against the wall and howled with laughter.

Mules aren't so honored here in Egypt and the barn staff were really worried that I'd be upset. On the contrary, I was delighted and Koko gave us all a lot of pleasure for a long time. Nim worked out that Koko was in no danger from us very quickly and when Nayzak was born, she timed it so that I'd be there.

Maryanne
Cairo