Re: [RC] mare story - KeepsakeFarms

In a message dated 2/8/2004 1:15:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I had a similar experience in the 70's with my mare. I was off at college
while my mare was at home. My mom called frantic that she was 3 weeks
overdue. I got home late and didn't go down to the barn in the dark. The
next morning I went down to do the morning chores. The mare was glad to see
me and ate her breakfast heartily. I turned her out in the pasture and went
in the house for my own breakfast... needless to say, 15 min after wolfing
down her breakfast, she was banging on the gate to come back to the barn. 15
min after that, the foal was born! Just like she was
waiting for me too.

My experience was when I was a child at a boarding barn. A lady at the barn had
about the best kid's horse I have ever seen- a QH mare who was wonderful no
matter what.  That mare was used for riding lessons frequently and still could
go win trail classes in A shows.

Anyway, one day when she was due to foal, had been fed, turned out, and came
back neighing at the gate while we were in the middle of a riding lesson.
There were kids everywhere at this barn.  We stopped the lesson brought her in,
put her in a stall, and she just acted completely unhappy.  Then, the lady who
owned her opened up the stall door, the mare came out into the hallway and had
her foal in front of about 25 spectators, about 20 of which were kids.  It was
a spectacular thing for me to see as a kid and I will never forget it.

Additionally, the foal, a colt, was named Witness because of the occasion!

Linda J. and Shennandoah