Re: [RC] Daily Wormer - Truman Prevatt

Roger Rittenhouse wrote:

The common  practice here is sort of like this.
The horse is going  hard and fast with many rides really working, AND its on
daily wormer. The
reason for the performance problems is attached to the wormer. The
horse is left off - to recover AND the wormer is stopped. Horse goes
back to work a month or so later and does great.. Problem solved it
was the WORMER.. and NOT the rest down time???

That goes in the same category as "a frog without hind legs can't hear."

I suspect if there is a problem it is one in X horses that may be sensitive to it. A vet told me once that the daily wormer will impact the ability of the horse to absorb fats. In most cases it will increase the ability of the horse to absorb fats - why a lot of horses that go on it gain weight. But she also said in some it could impact the absorption of fats. I don't know if she is right or not but she is very good and she was basing it on studies she had read.

She actually reccomending pulling the horse off during times of stress just because the biochemistry in a stressed horse is different than a horse that is not stressed and of course the studies to support FDA approval were done on a population of mostly unstressed horses. A hard endurance season is not low stress.

Truman