Re: [RC] Understanding Mares - Truman Prevatt

Karen.

It was more like "An endurance ride with a mare is a 50 ( 100 mile ) negotiation." You don't tell my mare what to do - you asked her and then you talked about it and then you go and get it done. My wife and my mare did not get along. Neither wanted anything to do with the other - it was actually pretty comical to watch (but don't tell my wife I said that).

Give me a mare any day. The geldings I have make good "beer drinking buddies," but if I get lost in a 100 at night and my life depends on getting back, give me a mare any day of the week.

Truman

I am really looking forward to my first competitive season with her. I cannot think of anyone else I'd rather share the miles with. I think it was Truman (not sure) who said with a mare, you have come to an agreement about things. So true. With my first horse, a gelding, I felt somewhat maternal towards him. With Mazzie, we are more like sisters. We certainly disagree about a lot of stupid stuff, but way down deep we both love and respect each other and work together for the important stuff.

And my husband's gelding is perfect for him. We'll probably always have a balanced set of hormones around our place, a mare for me and a gelding for him. I figure it's like dogs and cats - everyone should have at least one of each. Once makes you feel like the king of the world, and the other keeps you humble and puts you in your place!

Love my mare, love my husband's gelding,

Karen and Mazzie