[RC] Understanding Mares - Karen Casemier

I love all of these posts. So many times when we get into a gender discussion, it is an all or nothing thing - Mares are perfect or crazy, Geldings are stupid or saints, Stallions are insane or the best thing since sliced bread. Each gender has its pros and cons.

My mare has put me through hell sometimes with her attitude (especially when I first got her - things are MUCH better now, but it took me some time to figure out I couldn't treat her like all the geldings I had handled before). I think opinionated is a little bit of an understatement. My husband has a scar on his knee from where she nailed him (I guess I'm quicker to get out of the way). BUT... she never strikes out without warning. She always lets you know when she's pissed off before she tries something. And, in time, she has become much more respectful.

My vet adores her - he says the problems I have from the ground are typical when you get two boss mares together! And I adore her too. We are slowing coming to an understanding on the ground, and we have always understood each other under saddle. From the moment I first tried her out, I knew she was the horse for me. And she's proved it time and time again. On one early ride at a state park, she refused to go through what looked like a typical muddy spot to me. She can be a bit of a princess about mud - likes to find the dryest away around to keep her pretty legs clean - so I really got after her. After a split second, we sunk down to her hocks. I had no idea how to get out of there, so I apolized profusely, dropped the reins and kicked my feet out of her stirrups, grabbed a handful of mane, and let her save my ass. Not five minutes later, we encountered more mud on the trail, and she went straight through out without a fuss. I've since learned that if she feels strongly about something, I better listen.

In October of 2002, I suffered a broken neck in an absolutely terrifying accident (on another horse, not my Mazzie). In April of 2003, I was finally cleared for light riding. Mazzie had not been ridden once the entire time. My husband insisted that my first ride back be a glorified pony ride, so I got on and he led Mazzie around. She tried to bite him, as if saying "hey bud, this is MY human, and I can take care of her just fine". She didn't let out one of her very typical yahoo bucks with me in the saddle until about five later, when she figured I was finally ready for more of a challenge.

We went for my first trail ride since the accident in late summer. I was nervous, but excited. I wasn't sure how Mazzie OR I would react to the trail. But the minute we got to the state park, her ears were perked forward (not her usual stance - they are usually ALWAYS pinned), she stood stock still for mounting, and as soon as I swung my leg over she filled me with confidence. She marched straight down that trail with the greatest sense of purpose. "Finally," she seemed to say to me, "we are back doing what we both love. What took you so long?" This was also the first trail ride for my husband's 4 YO gelding, and she let that boy basically stick his nose right under her tail and led him past every spooky thing without a problem (and this is a horse who will be definitely wearing a red ribbon in her tail). In fact, she seems to enjoy helping out the less experienced horses.

I am really looking forward to my first competitive season with her. I cannot think of anyone else I'd rather share the miles with. I think it was Truman (not sure) who said with a mare, you have come to an agreement about things. So true. With my first horse, a gelding, I felt somewhat maternal towards him. With Mazzie, we are more like sisters. We certainly disagree about a lot of stupid stuff, but way down deep we both love and respect each other and work together for the important stuff.

And my husband's gelding is perfect for him. We'll probably always have a balanced set of hormones around our place, a mare for me and a gelding for him. I figure it's like dogs and cats - everyone should have at least one of each. Once makes you feel like the king of the world, and the other keeps you humble and puts you in your place!

Love my mare, love my husband's gelding,

Karen and Mazzie

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology." http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx