Re: [RC] Fw: [AERC-Members] AERC LD rule change - Barbara McCrary

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 10:39 PM
Subject: [RC] Fw: [AERC-Members] AERC LD rule change

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: [AERC-Members] AERC LD rule change

<<On the other hand, riders were racing LD rides long before they were even recognized by AERC>>

Very true,  and the "Pulse down" to finish did help to make things more sensible for LD distances.

<<and a LD BC was being awarded.  In principal, I agree; in practice, I believe some riders will race just for the thrill of it.>>

And how is this different from 50 mile rides?

I think it is different in that a horse can run most of 25-30 miles and get himself into trouble.  I think it's harder to run most of 50 miles.  It should require better pacing.  But I've said all I'm going to say on the subject.  I have strong feelings on the purpose of LD rides and I'm not going to discuss it any more, because it's pretty obvious that many others don't share my feelings and it's pointless to keep arguing the issue.

Barbara