[RC] horse sense of direction - Laura Hayes

Steph wrote that migratory birds follow roads and even cloverleaf loops...

Most of the horses I have worked could find their way home from anywhere, but my old Freckles who passed away this year after 19 years together, couldn't find her way out of a paper bag.....she would turn the wrong way every time given the chance.

We were in the top three at the end of a 50 miler at the East Branch ride many years ago, and just behind the leaders on a trail we had already done once that day - and to top that, she and I LIVED at East Branch for awhile.  Cantering along very forward and happy and she took a turn in the wrong direction!!!  I couldn't believe it!  I had never had a horse with that poor a sense of direction - but she was and most likely always will be, my all time favorite horse.  I miss her terribly.

Laura Hayes  AERC#2741