Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Barbara McCrary

I'm going to try to answer this as thoughtfully as possible, but it won't be
easy because of the way I feel.  In our area, in our business, in our own
personal lives, some controlling entity, be it federal, state, or local, has
gone overboard to direct OUR lives according to THEIR beliefs of what is
best for us.  I feel that this constant control is weakening our society to
the point that we cannot do what we want or judge the best for US, thus
making us "dependent" on these entities for all our decisions.  Some people
just kick back and accept this control as "that's the way it is."  Some of
us more stubborn, determined ones fight back in whatever way we can.  I know
that a lot of the control is based on too many people wanting too much of
the pie, in other words....overpopulation.  But I will continue to stand
against what I consider unnecessary control.
It is certainly stupid and cruel to force some little kid into endurance
riding if he doesn't want to, but I would think the flak that comes from the
kid....whining, crying, whatever...would be enough to discourage the parent
from continuing such force.  Maybe not.  I still think that parents should
have some right to judge what is best for their kids, and I just don't see
this as an epidemic.  Do you really see a bunch of parents shoving their
kids onto horses or ponies and out on the trail, just to set some sort of
record?  I attribute better sense to most parents than that.
Now if you want to go back in history a bit, there were doubtless little
kids on horseback, helping move cattle at a very young age.  They just grew
up to be skilled horsemen and cattlemen.  Actually, some ranch kids are
doing that today.

Barbara