[RC] Minimum age for kids - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heidi said:

Just a postscript to the above...  The only two
cases in my memory where I really felt that parents
were dragging kids along that shouldn't have been
out there both involved kids who were well over
Joe's proposed age limit of 8, and at least one of them
was well over SERA's age limit of 10.

Just as a post script to Heidi's post script.  I do not recall Joe having
made any statement with regards to WHAT age he thinks should be the minimum
(I was under the impression that he was more concerned about 3 year olds
than 7 year olds) just that he thinks there ought to be SOME minimum (of
course, part of the problem with then actually implementing some minimum is
that now you DO actually have to come up with an exact number, at which
time there will be plenty of people who will be able to give you lots of
perfectly good reasons for why THAT particular number is not the right
one:)).

Additionally, the SERA's age requirement is 8, not 10.  It is NATRC that
has the minimum age requirement of 10.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. I am unconvinced by the assertion that the AERC is exposing itself to
extra legal liability in not having a minimum age requirement; however,
consulting competent attorneys in this matter would be more likely to get
more legally valid opinions (just don't make the mistake in thinking that
all attorneys are going to give the same opinion :)).

I haven't seen anybody suggest that allowing small children to participate
negatively impacts the other participants, consequently, any other reasons
for instituting a minimum age are none of the AERC's business.

http://mail2web.com/ .