Re: [RC] Hoping this freeze doesn't last... - rides2far

this will be my first ride in the cold on my own.  > I'm sure you have
ideas (other than staying in camp!) on how to
manage to keep yourself and your horse going thru the ride.

I'm not the most experienced at cold weather riding, but can tell you
that *during* the ride isn't the problem. I think the riders are the only
ones warm. It's the poor people in the vet check who are freezing.
Getting out of the bed is the worst...but once you've done that in a 2
horse you'll lay in your bed at home on frosty mornings and say, ""I sure
am glad I don't have to go get dressed on the back porch!"

I dress pretty warm when I first get up but put it on in LAYERS. Just
before the ride starts I'm almost always down to no more than maybe a
long sleeved T, neck warmer,a sweatshirt jacket and gloves. I have yet to
compete in winter tights but that may be an option for you. You just work
so hard riding fast that you get warm. Worst thing you can do is start in
a heavy down coat and a shirt cause then when you start overheating and
think you're gonna faint it's an all or nothing proposition. I like a
sweatshirt jacket because I can push up the sleeves and unzip it and it's
almost as good as taking it off. By the way, I am *very* cold natured and
keep my house about 78 degrees with a woodstove. In the summer the
thermostat's on 81-83.

After the ride a heavy blanket is good for the horse and if you've got a
spare army blanket or something you might even cover his neck. If it's
windy there I have draped a tarp over the side of my corral to make a
windbreak.  As for you...make sure you have insulation under your bed
too. If you're on a cot a closed cell foam pad or a couple of wool
blankets underneath are good. I throw a wool army blanket over my subzero
sleeping bag. Keep your clothes you're going to wear in the bottom of
your sleeping bag...especially your bra! >g<

Make sure your heater is safe in an enclosed space. People die that way
and the heat really isn't worth it during the night if you've got good
bedding. I camp in the back of a 2 horse and I set up my hot plate &
lantern within reach in the mornings. When the alarm goes off I reach
over and start both. A lantern puts out a good bit of heat and you'd be
amazed how having a 30 degree trailer makes 40 degrees feel warm when it
warms up that much. :-)

Angie