Re: [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... now age requirement - Sisu West Ranch

1. I'm not sure that the AERC should be in the helmet requirement business just for juniors.  If we think it is so important to require  riders to wear helmets, why just the juniors?  Yes, people will reply that adults can figure out the risks to themselves, but kids can't.  That is why kids have parents.  Parents are adults and can figure out what their kids should wear.  (Please don't think I don't wear a helmet.  I do. If I had any children, who were not adults, they would also.  On the rare occasions my adult kids ride my horses, they do.)

2. The helmet liability issues are generally put off onto the deep pockets of the helmet manufacturers, who do a number of things like using standards organizations to prove their designs, and purchasing insurance.  I heard one time that a significant percentage of the price you pay for a helmet goes to fund the lawyers and insurance coverage.

3. American legal practice uses some strange arguments.  Any attorney worth his/her salt can argue any side of any issue.  Many of their arguments are wierd (in my opinion), but still sometimes win cases.  If the AERC is perceived as having money, it will be sued sometime.  All it can do is not borrow trouble.

4. The most important issue here, In my opinion, is the rights and responsibilities of parents.

5. Most of the age classifications in sports. seem to have more to do with fair competition and fun than safety issues.  6 yr olds don't play sports with 12 yr olds partly because of safety concerns, but mostly because neither they or the 12 yr olds would have fun.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875