Re: [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... now age requirement - Sisu West Ranch

".... If we, as
the AERC, decide that there is a 'minimum safe age' for kids to
ride endurance then that opens a whole new can of worms...."

I can hear the argument now.  A junior gets injured.  He/she was the minimum age.  A lawsuit is filed.  The attorney argues:  "The AERC admitted that children younger than X years old should not ride endurance, but my expert says that they were wrong, the age should be X+2.  The AERC's negligence in not properly researching the issue and then prohibiting riders younger than X+2 years old caused the injury..."  Another potential argument would be: "The injured child suffers from (insert any disease, birth defect, or condition that affects balence, or coordination), the AERC admits that children younger than X should not ride, they also had a duty to prohibit children with (insert the condition) from riding."

As it is now, with no mention of age, the AERC can rightly defend itself by stating that horse related activities are dangerous, and it is the parents right and duty to decide if their child should participate.  The parent of the injured child did agree in writing that they knew this and felt that the child should participate.

Parents, good, bad, prudent, imprudent, overly protective, or properly protective have the right and duty to raise their children, with only minimal interfearance by outside authorities and forces.  The AERC charter does not say that a purpose of the AERC is to raise children for their parents.

I also personally feel that at times our duly elected government (Which, by the way,  does have in its charter the duty to protect all citizens, including children.) interfears with the right of parents to raise their children.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875