RE: [RC] Toxic iron levels - Mcgann, Barbara

"Please Reply to: Kathleen Ferguson kathleenmarie@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My new mare tied up last month.  She is 5 1/2 and in arena training with light
trail riding on the weekends.  When she tied up she was being lunged to warm
her up for her daily lesson.  She got a bit silly on the lunge line and "blew"
and galloped a bit but not unlike anything she had done in the past.  We had
the vet pull blood before she was treated for the tie up (she recovered fine
and is back in training).
When her blood work came back everything was normal except her iron levels
which were sky high (normal .7 to 1.4 and she was 2.6)
My vet is scratching her head trying to figure out why her iron is so high and
how this is related to the tie up."

Kathy,

I don't think your tie-up had anything to do with iron levels being high.  Back
in the 70's, we used to bloodtest our horses and look at cell pack and RBC's.
If they were low, the vet would have us feed iron supplements.  We had one mare
that kept testing low over and over again, so we kept increasing the dosage of
iron supplement.  The vet was shaking his head over that, too...we were feeding
her 6 times the recommended dose and yet her blood values were coming back low.
What I did notice however was that when I would ride her, for the first 4-5
miles she was higher than a kite.  Couldn't keep 4 feet on the ground; then,
all of a sudden, she would go from a hugh trot to a slow walk, with her head
practically on the ground.  Like she was totally exhausted.  After walking a
ways, she would all of a sudden perk up and charge for a ways, then almost to a
stop again.  We read an article in Equus that explained it.  With the iron
overdose, she was storing the excess in her spleen, and then when ridden, the
body would call for it and the iron would be released in a large amount, making
her blood thicken suddenly.  After she would walk a ways, it would reverse into
storage mode and she'd feel better.  We eventually proved this by taking her to
the vet, taking a blood test resting; and then working her briskly in the arena
for 1/2 hour and then retesting the blood.  The iron count would jump
dramatically, as well as the RBC's, etc.

So, if your mare had an iron overload, she would be very excitable, followed by
extreme exhaustion symptoms.  Not tie up or cramping muscle symptoms.

Hope this helps.   Barb McGann