[RC] LD/Endurance miles - Nikki McCormack

Subject has been beaten to death, I know, but I am always a bit behind. :)

It seems to me that the people doing LDs have the biggest problem with it. I intend to start the year doing LDs and maybe work up to a 50 by the end, and I will be proud of every mile we manage, regardless of what anyone calls it. Endurance, to really be a sport, must have a definition. I have ridden 25 on my horse with little or no conditioning and, while it was hard, and I was proud of our success, it was not a true 'trial of our endurance'.

Some people and horses face limitations (age, experience, etc.), but a true endurance ride should be a 'test' of an 'average or better' horse and rider combo. We are all distance riders, I am happy to go with that since most casual trail riders I know don't go much more than 10 on a good ride. However, I also think that LD versus endurance is simply a matter of personal preference and knowing you and your horses limits. There is no reason not to be just as proud of each LD mile as you would be of each endurance mile.

I think the seperate LD category is a very good thing. It gives someone who has an interest a chance to get their feet wet in the sport without the intimidation of the 'endurance' label holding them back. If we never move up to 50s, I don't think I will look any less fondly on the moments Cody and I spend together racking up LD miles.

Nikki & Cody (who trys to make every mile a memory - "Did you see that rabid rock! Oh, and that venomous fern! And...").