[RC] Off billets... why not?? - sharon1359

The other day I was contemplating my Wish List for this coming season.  I have a
Marciante saddle that I'm using the traditional western cinch rigging on, and
the knot on the "drivers" side (LOL) gives me bruises on longer rides.  I was
writing down "It's A Cinch Camlock Pro" on my list when I suddenly wondered,
WHY could I not just use a second off billet on the near side??  I could punch
extra holes in it to make it more adjustable.  Am I crazy, or would this work
just fine?

Follow-up question: do off-billets need to be the 2" or so width, or could I
have a set made in 1" wide biothane?  Does a product like that exist already?
(The only reason I'm thinking narrower is to hold down the cost.)

Thank you all for your suggestions regarding water tanks and hayracks.  I have
decided that I can't afford a hayrack, even though there is a local guy who
quoted $400-500... there are just so many other things to spend that money on.
Instead, since I have an extra-tall cap on my truck, I think I will go with the
suggestion of setting a type of bunk system into the bed of my truck so that we
sleep a foot or two off the bed, leaving room underneath for storage.  I think
a couple of those hayrack tanks would fit in there just dandy.  :)
Interestingly, this is a suggestion that my oldtime-cowboy-showman barnlord
told me about last fall and I entirely forgot about until someone from Ridecamp
suggested it.  :)

By the way, we're in a heat wave.  It's a whole -1°F today here in Central
Maine.  Yesterday when I left work it was over 20° and I felt like putting
shorts on!

-Sharon Kenney & Zephyr's Elegant Gift
*dreaming of warmer weather and the miles passing underhoof*