Re: [RC] Off billets... why not?? - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"Follow-up question: do off-billets need to be the 2" or so width, or could
have a set made in 1" wide biothane?  Does a product like that exist
already?
(The only reason I'm thinking narrower is to hold down the cost.)"

My personal opinion is that the western saddle tradition uses much heavier
rigging than is required.  Western riders also tend to tighten the chincha
much tighter than is required.  I believe that there are two reasons for
this.

First, If one is roping rank cows, things have to be very strong.  Are you
anticipating roping large, rank cows?  Myself, even though my new horse has
been a ranch horse, I would have no idea how to get a rope on a cow, or what
to do with it after I got it there.

Secondly,  typically western saddles do not properly fit the horses, thus
they must be very tightly cinched to stay on.  I wondered why the first mare
we sent to our trainer came back a bit chinchy until I watched the trainer
saddle another horse.  In her defense, she had to use one saddle on all the
horses she was training, so it didn't fit most of them properly.  I suspect
that a lot of riders get in the habit of tightening things much more than
required, even after they get a properly fitting saddle.

All that said, 1" biothane is probably as strong as a normal latago,
especially after the leather is in use for awhile.  I changed Wendy's older
OF endurance from western rigging to dressage length English, by sewing (by
hand) biothane billets and purchasing an elastic end, neoprene girth.
(Wintec I believe, but I have used brands with good success. Professionals
Choice was an exception.)  It works great.  There are also systems to
convert with a different method sold somewhere, but I can't remember where
(Sporttack???)

If going to buckle system, having two billets does make saddling etc. much
easier.  Girths with stainless steel roller buckles are also worth the extra
cost.

Note: When putting the holes in biothane use a hot nail or soldering iron to
seal the edges and cut ends.  If you do this the billets will last a long
time.  Mine are ~5 years old and I think have another year or two left.
Leather only lasted me 2 years between replacements.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875