[RC] Torn Tendon - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: S. Howell whisperfeather or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I read some of the earlier posts about tendon damage and would like some advice
from someone who has experienced their horse's torn tendon (front leg)as far as
rehab.  I don't ride endurance, only trail, so time is there for my horse. She
is what matters most to me.....

The damage occured in the pasture she had been in for 13 years, and my search
for holes, etc. left me dumbfounded as to how it occured.  My vet says I may
never know and also told me I may never be able to ride her on steep hills,
through mud or sand again.  My heart sank and I was devastated as she and I
ride the trails at Morrow Mtn, NC and that is when we are the happiest, just
me, her and the woods.....

Any advice will be appreciated.  Her injury occured the week of Thanksgiving
and she has been in the stall with walking started the 4th week from 5 min.
once a day to now 15 min. twice a day.  I am keeping her leg wrapped 24/7 with
quilted bandaging as the sport boot caused sores on her pastern.  I would like
to use a sport boot (currently have the Classic Equine)to exercise her when the
sores heal, but would like to know what would be a good one to purchase that
will allow her leg to breath along with the support she will need.  For now,
with walking, I guess the quilted bandages are doing okay.

Thanks in advance for any info. you can afford to give.  She is 13 years old
and I have owned her since she was 5 months old.  She has always been there for
me.......now I don't want to let her down.

Happy trails,

Sheila and Whispering Feather