Re: [RC] re: 100 milers...speed vs. tradition - heidi

If all is going to coexist in the same framework it will take
compromise. Both sides will have to be willing to step up to the plate
and compromise. Since the international scene is smaller it will be odd
man out if it is not willing to listen to the criticism. On the other
hand we will all lose if somehow "international is split off."  Right
now I don't see a whole lot of willingness to compromise. That is the
sad part.

Huh??  I've seen quite a lot of compromise taking place between what FEI
endurance was when the USA first got involved with it and what we have
now.  FEI has gone from "secure" stabling with stalls, fences, and guards
at the gate to simply requiring a separate parking area for FEI-entered
horses, and the "regular" AERC horses can be in that area as well provided
they have proof of the influenza vaccinations per the FEI requirement.  At
Steph's rides, FEI horses were parked on one side of a lane, and AERC
horses on the other, and you couldn't tell the difference, save for the
sign directing each group to its appropriate side.  FEI has taken a leaf
from AERC and has relaxed their dress code--going down the trail, you
can't tell an FEI rider from an AERC rider, unless the AERC rider is
wearing really wild colors, or going without a helmet.  Most of us in AERC
are already using helmets, and many are using caged stirrups, for safety's
sake.  FEI just insists on it (or heeled shoes or boots, in lieu of caged
stirrups).  FEI is stricter about weighing in and out, and does spot
checks.  That doesn't inconvenience the AERC riders a bit, since they
don't have to do it.  There is a bit more protocol about going through vet
checks.  AERC riders can compromise a bit, too, and can put up with it--it
usually isn't too odious.  (Certainly no different than going to a
different region where they just "do things" differently.)  I really think
that the shouting has come from a vocal minority--not from the rank and
file AERC riders who go to the FEI 100s and just don't enter the FEI part.

Heidi