Re: [RC] re: 100 milers...speed vs. tradition - tprevatt

Steph,

My point in piping up is that I do feel that there are some that would
like to see FEI separated from AERC, and it worries me. We are a small
sport, a small community of riders with more similarities than
differences. And at the 100 mile level, the differences are even fewer.
I honestly haven't seen any data or stats to back up the claims that the
faster rides are harder on horses. Foolish riders are hard on horses,
and one can be just as foolish on a tough mountain course as on a flat
desert course. And regardless of the course, or the venue, every rider
can choose their speed. We had almost as many riders do the AN 100 in
the 12-16 hour range, as in the 8-10 hour range. And a high completion
rate with no metabolic pulls. And the scenery isn't all that bad either.
(do I sound defensive :)

Just please don't try to drive away, or separate, the riders that are
following International trends, or just trying to be the best in their
sport by one standard - some of you might have been doing the same thing
10 or 20 years ago. We change - but the sport really isn't changing that
much. It's always been a 'finish sport' for some, and a 'race' for
others. Even traditionally. It's a bit of an odd sport we have, where
even though it is a timed event, and we are rewarded with top tens,
first to finish prizes, extra points for going faster than others - it
is a stigma to call it a race, and stating 'to win is to win' would be
near heresy... It's as if the collective conscience of the sport is
afraid that if we call it a race people will get stupid and feel that
they 'have to' race.

Just ride, do what you like, protect our horses, and be tolerant of
others with different goals.

None of this was an issue or a problem until the requirement for FEI
sanctioning spring on the scene.
People from the US have been doing international for quite a while long before
we needed FEI sanctioned
rides in the US for them to become "capable."  The first year of cosanctioning
didn't come off very well in
some people's mind and from what I could see the FEI portion of the rides were
a bit overbearing at the first
few.  That's left a bad taste which has lead to what you observe above.

I think there are a lot of reasons. The disciplines of eventing and dressage
are European in their origin. So the more
formal European flavor is not a big deal. However, formal distance riding
started for this country in the late 1800
in New England in the cavalry trials which lead to competitive trail riding and
the 3 day 100. Later endurance was
born in CA. Endurance is clearly American which has been adopted by the
Europeans. I think that leads to some of the
rub. Secondly there is a divergence between "race and ride" which has been beat
to death.

If all is going to coexist in the same framework it will take compromise. Both
sides will have to be willing to step up to the
plate and compromise. Since the international scene is smaller it will be odd
man out if it is not willing to listen to the criticism. On the
other hand we will all lose if somehow "international is split off."  Right now
I don't see a whole lot of willingness to compromise. That
is the sad part.

Steph

(I'll ride any horse, at any speed, on any trail, and enjoy it just as
much either way. But those few times where the horse, the trail, the
day, the luck, all converged with a 'first to finish' have been very
very special.)

I've come in first and I've come in dead  last and all I can say is what
Kipling said,

"... If you can meet with triumph and distaster
.. And treat those two impostors just the same...''

First or last wll quickly fade - what is important is having a sound horse to
go down the trail with you year after year.
After all "to finish IS to win."

Truman