[RC] kicking,leaping etc. - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Well, lets see.......First, the manners....you opened a door, and he
firedout at it with both barrels....and when your trainer walked over >to
him,>shegot kicked, and you said it was hard enough it is >draining??? Horses
withgood ground manners do NOT kick at people....

Oh, OK. I see where you're coming from.  First, when he kicked the door it was
the first time he'd been in a barn in his life. He was in open pasture where he
was raised. I have an open shed on the end of the barn and had tried to get him
to come in there to escape the sun in the summer and he preferred the trees.
That was the first good day it rained and all the other horses had come in out
of the rain so he reluctantly came in too. He seemed kinda fascinated watching
the rain and not being wet. The door is high, over my head and his, and the hay
bag was hanging high. I don't believe he knew there was a human in the
neighborhood at the time, just that the barn wall and big black thing moved.
Still not good but didn't feel in the least he aimed it at me. I'm careful to
speak before I open the door and he turns around all perky eared wanting to
nuzzle.

When he kicked the riding instructor I was mounted so didn't think of that as
"ground manners". In that case again, he was *totally* focused on the train in
the distance and when she spoke right beside him the explosion was
instantaneous. Might add that he's from Alabama and she has a very northern
accent. >g< He almost reminds me of my daughter watching TV (Bonnie, not Josie)
She goes into a trance and it's hard to get her attention but when you do she
jumps.

I got a note yesterday from the riding instructor he kicked and she says what
many of you say about backing up and getting control of his rear end. She
mentioned that he didn't like my leg back as far as she'd like it so again
that's the rear end. She mentioned something I had also considered, that we
check his eyesight. Everything that he's kicked at has been on his right, so
we'll do that too.

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. Poor Weedy doesn't know what he's
up against. Now if only the stupid forecast would cooperate!

Angie