Re: [RC] kicking,leaping etc. - Barbara McCrary

This part of the post reminded me of starting my 8 year old when he first
arrived here.  He was saddle broke, but he wanted to test me to decide if I
was worthy to be his person.  He nipped me a few times, he kicked me lightly
a few times (only when I fell under his feet, which was on occasions, as he
had the habit of swinging away from me when I tried to mount or dismount),
and he was being a general jerk one day, about two years ago, shortly after
I got him.  So instead of riding him that day, I took him on a 2-mile walk
around our ranch, with a rope halter, a large heavy rope, and a limber
switch cut from a bush.  If he tried to walk on me, he got his chest or
upper front legs switched.  In general, whatever he did that was
unacceptable was promptly corrected.  By the time we returned home from that
walk, he was a believer.  This is a very intelligent horse, but I had to
earn his respect and affection.  He didn't give it to me until I had had him
for 9 months; then one day he looked me straight in the eye and said, "I
think I will keep you."  Then he  put his forehead against my chest and
snuggled.  We've been partners ever since.  He still  spooks at silly
things, but I trust him like I've never trusted a horse before.

Barbara