[RC] re: Rude Rider - Stacy Sadar

Okay, I have to comment on this one since myself and a few others who ride together FREQUENTLY encounter rude riders on trail.  This may not even be at a competitive ride...just plain trail riding or where we are "training" on trail for rides.  We are all VERY safe conscious of ourselves, our horses and others on trail.  We are the type of people who say "hello" to everyone and make comments on the great day, etc.  Very Happy People Here! lol

My friend used to get all blown up and bent out of shape at how rude people were out on trail...especially those who were just walking there horses while we where "training" on trail.  Usually comments range from..."Why don't you slow down!"  "You can't ride there!" "Watch it!" "Get out of my way" "You shouldn't canter on trail!" "Stop running (when we were trotting)" and it goes on with other nasty comments to just plain dirty looks, etc.  Anyway, I take a bit of a different approach and act more concerned for the person and make sure they have complete control of their horse and just straight out ask them if they are going to be okay out here in the woods...on trail...outside of the arena.   I'm getting really tired of people who expect you to walk or trot slower because they have no control of their own horses.  No, none of us run past others or run up on them.  We ask if we can pass and when we get by, ask if we can trot away.  I'm talking about being 100 yards from someone at a canter, slow down and approach at an easy trot, then a walk to go by.  My point to this is that I should NOT have to ride my horse for other people. If they truly feel that my canter or trot 100 yards away from them is causing their horse to be out of control, then I'm sorry but they need to go back to the barn and practice some control.  I'm never rude...just concerned...and to a point "shaming" them for how they act towards us.  I'm just getting tired of it.

Stacy

Do you Yahoo!?