[RC] affording endurance riding - Laura Hayes

Thank you for your insights!
Kate
PS I totally see myself doing endurance the rest of my life, and hope I can afford it! Tips/advice please???<<<<<

Kate, I have been doing this sport since my early 20's- so almost your age.  I was fortunate to keep my horses at my family's farm, so it cut costs.  I learned to shoe my own horses, I traded labor for hay.  When I was 23 my endurance horse was kicked at a ride and broke his leg and I waitressed all winter, sending $25 a week to the vet who pinned his femur, until the $900. vet bill was paid.

To this day, I don't have a fancy LQ trailer- I get along fine with an ice chest and a sleeping bag.  I ride a cheap saddle that happens to fit (yippee!) and I groom dogs on non ride weekends to have extra money to ride with.

When you want something bad enough, you can do it.  Instead of 10 rides a year, pick 4 or 5 that are really where you want to ride.  You can do it.  I did.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741