[RC] how to see if weight matters - Judie Ricci

If you would like  to see if your weight matters  to your horses ,  use your heart rate monitor,  read it while your on , then get off and jog with your horse and check it again while you are off.  usually there is a noticeable difference.  Especially on hills, up or down , you can read your horses  h/r and hop off and read it again after a few strides,  you don't have to jog the whole ride to see  this , just a few feet for those that dont want to get off .   IMO when you top ten you should weigh in with all your tack ,including the stuff you carry in your ride bags,  we all carry what we think we might need, the "gear" may differ from rider to rider , IE.  leatherman tools, water bottles, applesauce, the kitchen sink,  or  what you decide you need to carry  from ride to ride , depending on the region , weather and distance between vet checks, I don't think there is a huge difference between what a person has on board on a conditioning r ide or an endurance ride,   I think I remember  reading that you can weigh MORE than your weight category but not LESS .  my husband is a H/W  and I have seen his competition fill water bottles , wet pads, before they get on the scale, we laugh, and go on.

Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.