[RC] weight - oddfarm

Angie, I ride with the Toklot woolback and when it is dry, it feels light. When it is sweat soaked through, it is pretty heavy and when it is completely wet, (like when I rinse it off) I can hardly lift it. I'll have John take it to the junkyard and weigh it on certified scales and let you know.

I am having a hard time believing weight loses of 15 pounds on a ride. Of course, it is easier for men to lose weight than women but even after a 10 mile run, in the summer, in Florida, I doubt I have ever lost that much weight. Except when I take my soaking wet clothes off. Maybe because all my weight is fat :)Everybody is different, but that is a lot of weight to lose at one time even if it is water weight.

The only time I lost any water weight that quickly was when I was in the hospital and they gave me Lasix. (sp?) Even then, it wasn't gallons at a time, (they measure every bit) just ounces over the course of 5 days.

The rule on weight in the rule book says body weight and tack. I take that to mean your  clothed body, boots, helmet, bridle, saddle and pad. Not including your body, the rest of the stuff is listed under tack in any catalog. Either rider tack or horse tack. Evidently, since your weight can fluctuate by how much liquid you carry and how much you pee, they put in the 4% variance.

I, myself would rather not see weight divisions. It is bad enough that my smaller horse groaned when I mounted up. So then I had to get a bigger horse. To have to get on a scale in public only to have the scale scream "GET OFF!" and people around me saying "Oh my God! Her poor horse!" is more than I care to listen to. Then I have to yell back, "My saddle weighs 50 pounds people! Mind your own business!!!" ;}

I better go run. A long, long way.

Go ride your horses people! It's Saturday!!

Lisa Salas, The Odd fARm