Re: [RC] weight - heidi

I am having a hard time believing weight loses of 15 pounds on a ride.
Of course, it is easier for men to lose weight than women but even after
a 10 mile run, in the summer, in Florida, I doubt I have ever lost that
much weight. Except when I take my soaking wet clothes off. Maybe
because all my weight is fat :)Everybody is different, but that is a lot
of weight to lose at one time even if it is water weight.

I agree, Lisa.  And I think Truman's response is a telling one--if people
neglect to eat or drink, then there is more weight loss.  Although people
MAY be able to do this in some cases without deleterious effect in the
long run, I also question whether it is fair to their horses to do it.  I
find that the FIRST thing that goes when I don't eat and drink well is my
riding ability--it is a fine line, and I can still certainly stay aboard
and ride my horse--but he is the one who takes the punishment of it.

I would also share that the only "treatment" at the Arabian Nights 100 was
a rider who did just as Truman said--and who required four liters of
fluids at the finish line.  And yep, this was a skinny male rider.

I don't think that riders who fail to eat and drink themselves and who
lose weight as a result are being fair either to their own bodies or to
their horses--if they don't care about the former, perhaps their care
about the latter might kick in and help them to take better care of
themselves.  I don't see that sort of weight loss in the top-notch male
riders, either--they have apparently learned to eat and drink better, even
if they don't "feel" like they "have to."

Heidi