Re: [RC] re: UAE involvement in endurance - heidi

 I am very ashamed if any endurance rider or U.S. Citizen that
 may be aware of these atrocities are accepting it as "part of
 their culture" or think that we cannot help to influence
 another country.

Karen, first of all, please do not make the mistake of assuming that
realizing that an atrocity is due to culture is the same thing as
accepting it.  The two are most certainly not one and the same.

Likewise, no one here (least of all me, and I'm the one who urged the
notion of understanding that this DOES have to do with culture, and that
there are better ways to go about changing other cultures than indignant
boycotts) has suggested that we can't influence another country.  On the
contrary, I think we can influence other countries and other cultures a
great deal by our example and our presence--we certainly CANNOT influence
a wealthy nation by our absence!

We may not be able to "change" their culture,
 but we can set an example by not participating in any of their
 events.

But Karen, we CAN change cultures--see the above.  By picking up our toys
and going home, we leave the very victims to their fates.  It is only by
BEING THERE that we can set an example and make a difference.

We as U.S. Citizens can make it clear to the UAE that
 we do notcondone or accept the abuse of these children, by not
 participating in any event or venue that citizens of the UAE
 are holding or sponsoring.  We, as individuals, can make that
 choice.

Yes, we can make the choice to simply absent ourselves from the scene.  Or
we can make the choice to BE THERE and bring our ideas and our culture
wtih us.  Personally, I think the former is the coward's way out.  We can
point to our own "virtue" and say "oh, we are wonderful, because we didn't
dirty our hands with the problem."  Or we can go out and be ambassadors of
a better way of life.  The latter is very difficult, and means walking a
fine line.  But you're right--the choice is ours.

Heidi