[RC] re: UAE involvement in endurance - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Gardella-Betzer billnkaren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

After speaking to my friend last night who had informed me
about the program on HBO regarding the "abused Camel Jockeys",
I was outraged!!  My reaction was the same as many of you who
have written posts to ridecamp.
I am very ashamed if any endurance rider or U.S. Citizen that
may be aware of these atrocities are accepting it as "part of
their culture" or think that we cannot help to influence
another country.  We may not be able to "change" their culture,
but we can set an example by not participating in any of their
events. We as U.S. Citizens can make it clear to the UAE that
we do notcondone or accept the abuse of these children, by not
participating in any event or venue that citizens of the UAE
are holding or sponsoring.  We, as individuals, can make that
choice.  This, of course, includes the riders that were
hoping to participate in the WEG.  They, as individuals can
decide if they want to participate in an event held or
sponsored by leaders of a country that condones
this type of thing.  I will feel very ashamed if the FEI or
AERC, or any endurance rider chooses to continue to support the
UAE's involvement in endurance, until this practice in stopped.

Maktoum may not be directly involved with the abduction of
the "Camel Jockey Kids", but he most certainly does have the
power to communicate with the other Arab leaders, and mostly
likely has a very strong influence in his country, since he is
the Prime Minister of Defense, and Crown Prince of Abu Dubai.
I'm sure that any non-involvement on the part of endurance
riders in the UAE events will have some effect.
I'm encouraging all of you that read any of these posts
regarding this topic to do what you feel is right and encourage
you to take as action!