Re: [RC] [RC] Unabashed plug for helmets - heidi

Heidi,
Thank goodness you had your helmet on. I'm another slow convert, who
grew up without helmets, and just recently decided that riding 40 miles
a week instead of 5-10 miles, probably greatly increases chances of
accidents. And then, my neighbor did get her skull cracked on a
fencepost when she was thrown from her horse. Since you lost
consciousness, shouldn't you go get checked out? I've read there could
be swelling, even though there is no outward evidence of injury. Hope
all is well and you have a great ride. (I just read Linda's post on the
subject which confirms risk of swelling) Kathy

You have a good point that any loss of consciousness should be treated
seriously.  I live a long way out, and the road out of my place isn't
exactly pleasant, so instead of risking the jolting, I opted to just
review my head injury protocol with the ER by phone, and had my hubby keep
checking me through the night to make sure I knew who I was and how many
fingers he was holding up.  And NO NSAIDs for the discomfort--they can
precipitate a bleed, or exacerbate one.  We also ceased all of our packing
plans for the evening, and hubby did all of the chores that were left to
do, so that I could take it easy.  Since all was well by morning, we opted
to go ahead and travel to the ride--however, because of the delay in
getting everything packed, we arrived late, and as I did still
occasionally have just a hint of a headache, we opted not to ride on Day
1.  Hubby took pictures and I slept in.  (Oh, yeah--also made hubby drive
all the way, too...)  We did short jaunts on all the boys around camp that
afternoon, and I felt that I was ready to go the next day, but was glad I
had not tried to ride that day.  I was fine riding the next two days, but
decided not to try to ride Day 4, even though the horse I had ridden on
Day 2 was fine and dandy and raring to go--I just felt that I had had
enough, and that I couldn't do him justice.  We had not planned to ride
Day 5 anyway, as we had to be home this evening.  But absolutely--one
should proceed with caution with head injuries, and pay attention to minor
headaches, neck aches, and any other changes.

Heidi